Home Foot Spa machines are a great way to relax after a long day. When your feet are in hot, bubbling water, all the pressures and the stresses of the day feel like they are melting away. The subject of this review is the Invigorating Pedicure Foot Spa (Model DRFB7040B4) by Dr. Scholl’s.
The Invigorating Pedicure Foot Spa is one of three foot bath spas offered by Dr. Scholl’s. All three provide the same basic features to be expected in a lower-end spa: vibrating air bubbles, massaging nodes, splash guard and massage roller. The Invigorating Pedicure Foot Spa is the most expensive of the three, including all the basic features plus toe controls, a pumice stone, and a 5-piece pedicure set. All in all, if you are looking for a reasonably-priced, basic foot spa, this spa from Dr. Scholl’s may be a good option.
The Invigorating Pedicure Foot Spa is an electrically-powered, as opposed to battery-operated, foot bath with the following basic features:
- Vibrating air bubble massage for relaxing foot muscles and increasing circulation in your feet and legs.
- SMART Heat system to keep the water warm. Please note, however, that the unit does not heat the water.
- Pumice stone for keeping dry, calloused heels smooth.
- 5-piece pedicure set for maintaining beautiful feet.
- Massaging foot roller (manual) for applying gentle acupressure to reflexology points on the sole and heel.
- Toe controls for shutting the unit on and off.
- Splash guard to prevent spilling water on the floor.
- On-off switch.
- Reasonably priced. Higher end foot spas loaded up with features can cost up to $200 or more. This spa is affordable at $35.
- Compact and lightweight in comparison with similar spas. Spas with a lot more features tend to be very heavy and difficult to move around, making filling and emptying them a bit of a chore. This spa is lightweight and easy to store.
- Can be used with Epsom salts. Many foot spas cannot be used with additives of any kind for risk of damaging the internal workings of the machine. This one can.
- No assembly required.
- Easy to operate. Basically, there is an on-off switch and that’s it.
Some of the cons are general and others have to do with lack of features. The general cons are listed first.
- Does not maintain temperature well. The product description and packaging tout a SMART Heat function that is supposed to maintains water temperature after you pour the water in, but many have complained that this feature does not work well or at all. This means the water gets cool quickly and the tank must be refilled with warm water after about 15 minutes. If you want to be able to soak your feet for more than 15 minutes without having to refill the tank, this may not be the unit for you.
- Noisy. Many consumers have complained that the unit is loud in comparison to similar products. Some have noted that putting a mat under the spa cuts down on the noise, however.
- Not for big feet. The spa can comfortably accommodate up to a Ladies Size 10 foot, but after that things get a little cramped. However, this is not unusual for a foot spa at either end of the spectrum. In general, foot spas are not built for especially large feet.
Lack of features
Some of the cons listed here may not be legitimate given expected standards for a spa in this price range.
- Does not heat up the water. In other words, you must fill the tank with warm water. While technically a con, this is standard for the price range. If this is important to you, you should look for a higher-end spa.
- Foot roller is not motorized. While technically a con, a motorized roller is pricey option that would not expected in this price range.
- Vibration and air bubbles are not adjustable. In other words, when the unit is on, the vibrating air bubbles are on. They cannot be turned on and off without turning the whole unit on or off. They also cannot be adjusted for intensity. This is another feature that would not be expected in this price range.
In conclusion, the Invigorating Pedicure Foot Spa DRFB7040B4 by Dr. Scholl’s is an affordable, basic foot spa that is reasonably priced for what it does. If you are not looking for much more than a whirlpool, it should fill the bill. However, you should be aware that the water will not stay warm longer than 15 minutes and if you have especially large feet they may feel cramped.